Stretching has many benefits, that is why stretching exercises are usually included into exercise routines in gyms and they are also often used by physical therapists and even chiropractors. Here are the perks of performing a short stretching routine every day:
- Increased flexibility – aging inevitably comes with reduced mobility and sedentary lifestyle can also aggravate muscle stiffness. Stretching exercise can restore the flexibility of the joints, tendons and muscles in a gentle, painless, even enjoyable way;
- Wider range of motion – stretching exercises can also restore the range of movement of the joints, making not only sporting activities, but everyday movements easier and painless;
- Improved circulation – stretching is known to improve the blood flow to the muscles, thus reducing the muscle soreness associated with exercising and shortening the recovery time that your muscles need after strenuous activities;
- Improved posture – stretching exercises reduce the pain that is often the cause for incorrect posture, thus promoting the correct position while walking, standing or sitting;
- An excellent stress reliever – stress causes the muscles to contract involuntarily and to stay contracted for too long. Stretching exercises can relieve that tightness and tension, being especially beneficial for the neck, the area of the shoulders and the upper back. Places like ECCO Medical with Dr. Aaron Kovaleski can help walk you through getting back to health and keep your stretch routine going.