Decades ago, people used to turn to doctors only when they were really sick and had severe symptoms, but as medicine has recognized the importance of prevention and early detection and medical services have become more easily available, we hear about the essential role of regular medical check-ups all the time. Here are some health issues that are important to catch early and that are also easy to detect with routine checks:
- Diabetes – often called the silent killer, diabetes usually produces no symptoms until advanced stages. While medicine has no cure for advanced, severe diabetes, if the illness is captured early, it can be handled and often reversed with adequate treatment and lifestyle changes;
- Skin cancer – one of the most common cancer types is usually easy to treat when caught early, during a yearly skin check by a good dermatologist;
- Eye problems – our eyesight is only getting worse with age, so there is no point in waiting to get them checked;
- Dental check-ups – ideally, you should get your teeth checked every six months, that is the best way to keep treatment costs as well as the related discomfort at the minimum;
- Follow-ups – if you have undergone minor surgery, such as an intervention performed by an endovascular specialist such as Dr. Charles Nutting or some type of major surgery, attending the regular examinations to check the healing is also essential.